Friday, August 5, 2011

Day 217: Devereux


In the fall, I am taking a Field Practicum psychology class.  Basically, I need to intern or volunteer somewhere for 100 hours total.  I've put in my resume' to two places I'm interested in interning at.  I also called the volunteer coordinator at Devereux (an adolescent residential treatment center near where I live). 

So today, I made an appointment with the Devereux volunteer coordinator.  Next thing I know, I'm awake at 545am today.  Then I get tired and go back to sleep.  I think to myself, "I very easily could email the volunteer coordinator and say that I need to cancel, and can we meet up next week?"  I go back to sleep and keep hitting sleep on my alarm.  It's 9:25am, and I need to leave at 9:30am to meet with the volunteer coordinator.

I can either email her and cancel, or I can get up and be tired and feel like crap but still go anyways and meet her.

I'm so proud of myself:  I opted for the second option :-)  I got up and got ready and drove to Devereux.  We had a campus tour, and she showed me around, and I filled out volunteer forms, and I did a cheek swab to test for drugs.  And I am now on my way to being a volunteer at a facility that I have been thinking about volunteering at for several years.

I am very proud of myself :-)  And I was thinking, "Well, what if I hear from one of the two other places I want to intern at?"  And then I realized that I could intern at a place and still volunteer at Devereux.  So either way, I win :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment