Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 213: A Sad Day. Failed.


Today, my goal for the day literally was to have a sad day.  Now, I NEVER let myself have a sad day.  Sad has always been the enemy for me.  Sad means that I am weak.

Well, after this past weekend, I decided to let myself feel sad for the fact that I live hours and hours away from people I've grown close to.  That's the one thing that sucks about going to these conferences--you meet people who you get close to, and then when the conference is over, you go your separate ways and don't see them until months later. 

I was going to spend the day being sad and being okay with that.

And you know what?  Allowing myself to be sad, I ended up not being so sad.  In fact, I ended up spending the whole day with a close friend of mine and feeling pretty good throughout the day.

I got sad periodically throughout the day, but then it would pass.  I never ever EVER EVER thought I would fail at being sad.  This day COMPLETELY confirms the reasons that I'm doing research in the fall on the idea that allowing yourself to feel negative emotions actually is beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment