Friday, August 5, 2011

Day 216: Toastmasters

(a random picture of some happy Toastmasters)

Yesterday, I signed up through email to be Ah Counter for today's Toastmasters meeting.

I've been a Toastmasters member for several years.  I go through spurts where I'll attend weekly on a regular basis, soon followed by appearing sporadically or not at all.  I decided to go to today's meeting.

But what if they call me for Table Topics? (I am scared TO DEATH of Table Topics.)  What if I'm super tired?  (I was, but I went anyways.)

So I went.  And you know what?  Everyone was glad to see me.  And I won Best Evaluator for my role as Ah Counter!  (Okay, so it was a 3 way tie, but still :-) )

And I was able to get my next manual--Interpersonal Communications.  So now I can schedule a date to do my next speech, which will involve starting a conversation with a "stranger" (another TM member), and I will talk about techniques for how to communicate with a stranger in an effective way.  No one in our group has done the Interpersonal Communications manual, so I am looking forward to being the first person in our group to use it :-)

All in all, it was a successful fail attempt today.

No comments:

Post a Comment