Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 197: That's What Friends are For. (Or so I thought.)


The above cartoon sums up my feelings on a recent friendship ending very well.  In case you can't read it:

Green:  Hey Mike, what's happening?
Yellow:  Frank, just stop it.
Green:  What's wrong?
Yellow:  We can't be friends anymore.
Green:  But Mike, I can change!
Yellow:  No Frank.  It's too late.  We're over.
Green:  BUT...
Yellow:  Just get out!
(Green runs away sobbing.)
Yellow:  What a dick.  Geeeeeeez!

So yeah.  A good friend (well, not as good as I thought) of mine ended a 10 year friendship with me VERY abruptly.  Saying that she didn't feel a connection with me anymore.

I didn't take her message very well.  I mean, I totally understand the fact that some friendships end.  I'm certainly not friends with everyone I've ever been friends with.  But she DELIBERATELY ended the friendship.  And the part that really hurts is she didn't even discuss it with me beforehand.  She didn't say, "Hey Gina, I feel like our friendship is fading.  What do you think?" or something like that. 

I'm just glad that I'm not the type of person who would abruptly end a friendship without ANY regard for the other person's feelings.  And I'm glad that I'm friends with people of all different religions, beliefs, values, standards, and so on.  I like that I'm so versatile.

No comments:

Post a Comment