Saturday, July 2, 2011

Day 176: John Shook


This is not a picture of the John Shook I will be referring to in this entry.  But this is a John Shook.  I just think this is a kind of awesome picture.  He's cute and yet intimidating at the same time.

Anyways, so Saturday night at the conference, John Shook (a humanist who speaks about humanism and ethics) gave a talk about humanism.

From what I've heard and what I've read, near everyone enjoyed his talk.  I, however, did not.  I thought it was a whole lot of fluff.  I mean, a good talk doesn't need a lot of fluff.  And without that added fluff to his talk, I don't think his speech would have had much material to it.  I didn't like it anyways, so it's not like it would have been better without the added substance.

He sure didn't explain to me what humanism is, and he came across as extremely arrogant and with an "I-am-better-than-and-smarter-than-you" attitude, but . . . at least I stood up and asked him a question during the Q&A part of the talk.  I didn't enjoy the Q&A session, either, and I certainly didn't like the answer that he gave to my question (What is the difference between humanism and existentialism?).  But . . . yeah, I didn't like the talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment