Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 194: Conflict Schmonflict


For over a year, I have participated in group therapy at my university's Counseling and Psychological Services center.  It's free therapy, and I am a huge fan of free therapy.

If there's one common theme in most therapy groups, it's this:  People HATE conflict.  They will do almost anything to avoid it.  I certainly count myself as a participant in the conflict avoidance group.

However, during today's meeting, I found myself in a heated discussion with one of my fellow group participants.  The subject was actually about group therapy.  Long story short, I was telling her the realities of group therapy (such as people not participating, dropping out, not being consistent, etc.).  She thought I was attacking her. 

I VERY easily could have stopped and said, "You're right, I'm sorry," or something similar that would afford me the opportunity of ending this conflict-fest.  Instead, I pushed through it.  I stood my ground.  When she started blaming me for the fact that she would now leave group in a bad mood, I said, "I'm not responsible for your mood.  You can't blame that on me." 

And you know what happened?  Eventually she realized that I WASN'T attacking her.  And a good group discussion emerged as a result. 

For one who tends to avoid conflict, I would say that I handled the situation very well :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment