Monday, January 31, 2011

Day 31: My First Try as a Book Club Facilitator


I am a huge fan of book clubs.  I love to read.  I love to be around other people that love to read.  And I love to read books that I never would have read otherwise. 

I have attended dozens of book club meetings.  However, I have never organized or led my own book club.

I am an officer for my school's skeptics/freethinkers group.  I decided that this would be a good group for me to lead a book club with.  I like being around other freethinkers and atheists, most of whom enjoy reading.  So I organized a book club meeting through facebook.  Today was the day of our first meeting.

Result:  I think it went well.  We met in a common gathering space in one of the buildings.  I thought this was a good idea at the time, but I soon realized that I should try to secure a classroom for us to use.  However, we did possibly gain a new member who overheard us discussing religion and atheism.  I read Chapter 1 beforehand and had several discussion points to use from the chapter.  Seven other people showed up, which is a pretty good number for a book club meeting.  We had enough to talk about for the hour that I had allotted for the book club meeting.

Overall, I think it was a good meeting :-) And I am proud of myself for taking the leadership role with this! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment