Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day 32: Pop Quiz Galore


My cognitive psychology teacher gives pop quizzes that are worth 20 points a piece.  You never know what day he is going to give them.  So, if you want to get a good grade, you have to study before every class.  And usually he quizzes on new material that you will be learning that day, so you can't just rely on your notes; you have to read the chapter beforehand.

Today, I spent 2 hours before class studying for the quiz.  Why so long?  For one, it was a long chapter.  The subject was entitled Attention, hence the above cartoon--known as the tip-of-the-tongue phenomenon, when you just can't quite remember something you are wanting to remember.  Also, we had to have two articles read for today's class.  These articles that he chooses are not simple; they are very complex and usually difficult to completely understand.  So I had to go back over the articles, read the long chapter, and take notes throughout the chapter.

I was very prepared for the possibility of a quiz.

Result:  There, of course, was no pop quiz today.  2+ hours spent studying for a quiz that didn't even occur.  But do I regret that time that I spent studying?  No.  Because, since we went over the material in class today, I was able to understand it better, and I was also able to ask questions about the material. 

All in all, it was, I have to admit, a good move on my part to study for this quiz that never was.

No comments:

Post a Comment