Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 20: Teacher's Pet


Today consisted of my 2nd Cognitive Psychology class of Spring semester.  During lectures, most professors will ask students questions about the material, upon which student(s) will answer if they think they know the correct answer.

Yesterday, I correctly answered several questions in my Abnormal Psychology class.  Part of me was worried. What if my classmates think I'm a teacher's pet? A know it all? What if they think that I stay at home and study for hours a day? (which I don't!)

So today, my teacher asked several questions, all of which I knew the answers for. Again, the same questions entered my mind.  What if they think I'm a teacher's pet? What if they don't like me because I'm always the one that speaks out?  Or worse yet, what if I am incorrect and get the answer wrong?

Although these thoughts were present, I reminded myself that, honestly, I'm not in school to make friends. If it happens, it happens. But overall, I'm there to get into grad school. I'd rather be on my professors' sides than on my classmates' sides.

So, when my teacher asked these psychology questions for which he wanted the correct answer, I pushed these thoughts away. When no one else answered, I did.

Result:  I got all of the questions right. And I felt like a bad ass :-) I don't sit in the front row of my psych classes for nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment