Monday, January 3, 2011

Day 1: A Haiku



For my first day at this project, I decided to write a haiku. A haiku follows a 5-7-5 format, where the first line is 5 syllables, the second line is 7 syllables, and the third line is 5 syllables.  I told my boyfriend that he could choose the subject for my haiku.  He, with his fondness for squirrels, chose the topic of squirrels.  Here follows my haiku:

Squirrels

Bushy tails go "Thump!"
All frolicking through the park
I hear them go "Plop!"

You might wonder, "How can someone fail at writing a haiku?"  It's easy.  If you expect yourself to write the best haiku imaginable, a quite insurmountable task, you will never attempt to write a haiku.  However, if you expect yourself to fail at writing a good haiku, you have no expectations for yourself.

Result:  a chance to stretch your creative muscles while adhering to the 5-7-5 format.  It was a fun activity :-)

1 comment:

  1. I hear you. I quit writing stories because I felt they were never good enough. Lately I found some old beginnings to stories I had meant to write and the prince was impressed and told me to finish them and try to publish them but I always feel they're not good enough. :)

    ReplyDelete