Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 23: Overcoming (Some) Food Fears


Anyone that knows me knows that I have some weird food habits.  Today, while with friends at a birthday party, I decided to make today my day to challenge some eating habits.

First, I decided to try a new food--egg drop soup.  I hate trying new foods.  It's like I think something bad will happen to me if I try a food that I don't like. 

Second, I decided not to eat my foods one at a time. For example, I had broccoli, rice, and tofu. Normally I would eat the broccoli, then the tofu, then the rice.  Once again, it's as though I think something bad will happen if I mix up my food by not eating food categories one at a time. Instead, I chose to eat things not individually.

Third, I decided to try three new foods at SunO, an Asian dessert place near Atlanta--vanilla custard, a tea drink with tapioca balls, and some other custardy-type thingy.  Usually, once I go somewhere and try something and like it, I will continue to get that same thing every time.  But today, I chose only to get things that I hadn't tried before.

Result: 

I didn't like the egg drop soup.  I gave it to a friend.  I didn't die.

I mixed my food groups.  I actually enjoyed it.  And I didn't self-combust, contrary to what I always thought would happen. Of course I'm exaggerating, but your mind will believe near anything sometimes.

I ate new things at SunO.  And I liked my foods for the most part, although I probably won't get them again.

All in all, it was a good day of failing :-)  I couldn't have done it without the support of my friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment