Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 116: Do Professors (or Students) Bite When You Ask Them Certain Questions?

So.  This morning for me was a time of asking questions to people from whom I wanted something, whether information or an answer or a paper they recently wrote. 

Case One:  A classmate of mine wrote a paper about Sylvia Plath and her family and personal life situation and how such situations may have contributed to her death.  (I have read Sylvia Plath several times for the past 10+ years, and my classmate's perspective was a perspective I had never heard or read before.)  Would she send me a copy of her paper if I asked her?
Case Two:  I am interested in a position on my campus currently held by someone who will be moving toward the end of the summer; in order to find out more information, I must ask the Psychology Department Chair (a professor that I had a class with over the summer).

Case Three:  My philosophy professor (from whom I have taken 3 classes with the last 3 consecutive semesters) is teaching Social and Political Philosophy in the fall.  I have already taken this class and earned an A, but I really didn't understand what I was reading or studying; now that I've learned a lot more about the subject, I think I would be able to appreciate and understand the material better.  Will she let me sit in on the class next semester?

What if these people say no to my questions and think I'm stupid for asking them such things??

Result: 

Case One:  She said yes and was glad that someone actually wanted to read her paper :-)

Case Two:  I actually saw her go by in the hallway, so I stopped her and asked her about the position.  She said that you must already have a Bachelor's or Masters degree in order to qualify for the position; however, a student assistant position will be opening up in the fall, and I would be able to apply for that.  So that exchange turned out well overall :-)

Case Three:  I went to my professor's office and asked her if I could sit in on her class.  Without hesitation, she said absolutely.  Yay!

So today, I overcame my fear of failing and possibly being conceived as stupid, and it totally worked out in my favor! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment