Monday, March 14, 2011

Day 69: A Toastmasters Speech


Today, I was scheduled to give a speech for my Toastmasters group.  Usually there are only 2 speakers per meeting, but today there were 4 other speakers.  Of course this DRAMATICALLY reduced my chances of winning the Best Speaker Award for the meeting.  So I really didn't want to go do the speech.  But I went and did it anyways because I knew that I would have to do the speech eventually anyways, and this week was my Spring Break, so the timing was perfect for me to give a speech.

Result:  I won Best Speaker.  I FREAKIN' WON BEST SPEAKER!!! I have NEVER won Best Speaker, except through default.  The title of my speech was "It's Okay not to Smile," and the whole thing was about my life-long history of people telling me to smile more, and how that only made my determination not to smile that much stronger.  I told the listeners that they don't have to smile all of the time, and if they're not ready to not smile in front of family, friends, or coworkers, they could practice in the car. 

I freakin' rocked during my speech.  I was passionate, funny, had vocal variety, hand gestures, etc.  I was way proud of myself :-) And my parents were too, which was nice :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment