Thursday, October 6, 2011

Day 272: Devereux Training

Today was training for volunteers who want to work with children and adolescents at Devereux, the place I'm volunteering for in order to gain clinical experience and get credit for my Field Practicum class.

I really had no idea what to expect.  All I knew was that we were going to be learning restraint, and the only image I had in my mind was like using a straightjacket or something in order to restrain unruly or unsafe kids.

Result:  First, we learned CPR.  We spent 2 hours on that alone.  We followed along to an American Heart Association DVD in order for the training to be done correctly; I thought that was really cool because it is reliability and validity in action (we learn about that a lot in psychology).  The in-class trainer made us go through each step and made sure we each did the steps correctly before moving onto the next step.  By the end of the training, we were all CPR certified!  I thought it was really cool that I now got a 2 year certification from the American Heart Association for CPR training.

After that, we learned restraint moves to use when kids are in attack mode basically.  We learned how to block punches and kicks, how to shuffle away from them, what to do if someone grabs your hair or your shirt, and some other moves.  My favorite move was the take-down move, when you need to take someone to the ground and then get extra assistance to keep them down and hold them down (i.e. so that they can't kick you or someone else or whatever).  I volunteered to be taken down, and it was fun to see that I was super strong and able to get out of a hold easily, even with 4 people holding me down.  Yeah, I felt bad-ass.  And then I helped take people down, and again, I was super strong.  Sweet!

So yeah, there were times where I totally failed at some of the CPR training (before I figured out how to do it correctly) and times where I did the restraint moves incorrectly.  But the in-class trainer made us do everything correctly before we could move onto the next stage.  SO in this case, practice did make perfect for all of us :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment